Skateboarding, Long Distance Relationship, Music, and other randomness

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My 2,136 mile long distance love story. Introduction.

This is going to be the whole story of how my amazing girlfriend and I met and fell in love even being 2,136.8 miles apart. (Me in Oregon and her in Ohio) Enjoy.

About mid February 2012 I was in the process of getting over my ex. I had been having a lot of trouble and decided to go on youtube to listen to songs that reminded me of her, (cause of course, doing that always helps -_- ) I listened to our song and decided to comment on the video which inevitably changed my life. I commented on the video saying that I had done as much as I could to win her back and that I missed her terribly. A few days later I received a comment back from a girl named Maria Barkett. She commenting saying how sweet of a guy I was and how I deserve someone to give me their time. She wished me the best and told me that if I needed someone to talk to, she'd be happy to help. I took her up on that offer.

We started talking on YouTube as she helped me get over my ex. She sent me pictures of her at prom and I found her to be very beautiful. We started to really get to know eachother. I found out that she was close to my age. (I was 17 and she was 16 at the time, now I'm 18 and she's 17). I also found out that she was actually born in Russia and adopted at the age of 2. We have a lot in common and became good friends so we decided to take our friendship to facebook. We talked nearly every day for hours at a time and some nights even really late. One day I just sort of woke up and realized that I was inevitably falling for Maria, the already great times we'd shared and how easily we could talk. We really connected in a way I never felt before. Finally after about 4 months since having met her, I took the biggest gamble I'd ever taken. I confessed to her on June 13th 2012 that I had fallen for her. I told her the three beautiful words, "I love you"

Waiting for her response (this was on facebook btw) a million thought flooded my head, "What if she thinks it's creepy being so far away?" "What if she doesn't see me that way but wants to stay friends?" "What if she DOES actually feel that way?" Finally the response came............. Three words returned back. Much to my surprise she had realized it about a week earlier. We talked on the phone for the first time the next day after having planned it a week prior. (Maybe I should've waited one day to say I love you to her) And getting to hear her voice and hear her say she loved me, made it all seem so surreal, like a dream. From then on our relationship grew. We classify our "anniversary" on the June 13th because that was really the defining point of  our relationship.... the day we said those three beautiful words.

Our relationship has certainly been through its twists and turns, everywhere from parent disapproval to random arguments..... but through it all we've pulled out of it stronger than ever.

There was one point where her parents made us break up because they didn't want her getting hurt, they didn't have faith in us lasting. It was the hardest week of my life. I cried every night. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, I just simply couldn't function because of the pain. But about a week or two later she texted me and told me that it was too hard for her to withstand. We couldn't live without eachother, it wasn't an option. So we decided to keep  our relationship secret. We would talk on facebook everyday during her study hall class at school. It lasted a good while before her dad found out we were talking. He was upset. A second time, we kept it secret talking through texting and email. Yet again, her dad found us talking. A 3rd while talking, we used her friend's Ipod to text. Maria had left it at home and her mom found the messages. Instead of them cutting all ties off, they let us start talking on the phone an hour each night to keep the deceit and lying away. This was going well for us, but we got greedy. We started video chatting secretly (after having video chatted ONCE before early in our relationship) and talking on facebook late at night after getting off the phone.

Which brings us to now. Her parents grounded her and took away all phone and computer privileges away. Her step dad asked that if I care about her as much as I say I do and he believes I do, then I was to call him if I saw her online. He agreed that if I did that and waited it out, that she'd get her privileges back.

I know that being so young, it's hard to see a possibility of us knowing the true meaning of love, but I know it very well. My parents got together at about the same age and still to this day are happily married after 18 years of marriage. I know that no matter what, Maria is who I want to spend the rest of my life with. We have something so special and it goes beyond the distance. I can't wait to be with her for the first time. With the way we talk, laugh, tease, smile, and share thoughts together, I know she's who I want to be with. I've never felt this sure about something. And I will do everything I can to make her Mrs. Derick Collins.... my wife. :)

If you have any advice or any comments whatsoever, don't hesitate. I would be glad to discuss whatever you have to say about our story. I'm proud of it and want to show the world. Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed my first blog post.

****UPDATES have followed. The "Which Brings us to now" is very old....****

No comments:

Post a Comment