Skateboarding, Long Distance Relationship, Music, and other randomness

Monday, December 31, 2012

Skateboarding Monday: Oregon Skateboarding and Street skating

By the request of my skate friend Colton and his friend Scott, they suggested I write something on skating around in Oregon and skating street. I'll include our setups as well.

Colton and I started skating around the same time at the end of 8th grade. We lived in Veneta, OR at the time and we started out skating Veneta skatepark. I started learning flat ground and then moved to a 3 stair and that's when I got into street. Colton and I have been back and forth with vert and street but I still always prefer street. I feel that there's much more freedom with it. With vert, you're confined to one little area, but with street you can make any curb, rail, stair set, ledge, etc. work for skating. Lately we'd been skating around downtown Eugene. We constantly find worthy spots to skate.


Veneta Skatepark








I met Scott while skating at Trainsong Skatepark in the Highway 99/Bethel area. You can watch him and definitely tell he skates street cause he can board slide really well and can skate handrails and flatground like no other. He helped me get better at my boardslides. Trainsong is a cool little skatepark. It's super tiny but it's just fun. It's a good park to skate if you are a beginner, the only thing is... it's in a bit of a sketchy neighborhood. 
Trainsong Skatepark

Downtown Eugene is hella fun to skate because there is so much to do: Parking garages, ledges, stair sets, etc. I have the most fun with street because there is an endless amount of things to do. I definitely would recommend it. We typically park my car somewhere and go all around downtown exploring for spots. It's a lot of fun and is different every time. We constantly find new spots.






My Setup:

Board: ATM 7.75
Trucks: Independent
Bearings: Bones Reds
Wheels: Bones 15mm
Grip: Mob

Colton's Setup:

Board: Real 8.25
Trucks: Independent
Bearings: Bones Reds
Wheels: Bones 15mm
Grip: Grizzly

Scott's setup:

???
My favorite places to skate are around downtown Eugene, Train Song,  Juntion City Skatepark, Meadowview, and I'd like to hit Portland because there are so many good skateparks there. I also would like to hit Corvallis skatepark because it's got a lot of street.

This post wasn't as eventful as I thought it'd be... but thanks for taking a look at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment