Skateboarding, Long Distance Relationship, Music, and other randomness

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Music Wednesday: Music today vs. Past music (rant)

♫ I'm actually surprised in myself that I hadn't done this sooner. I've always had this strong opinion on how music has changed negatively (in a lot of aspects but not all) and how I feel about it. This is going to be a very opinionated post, so just a fair warning. BUT I would also like if you [my viewers] would throw in some of your viewpoints as well. ♪

♫ I'm mostly referring to 80's and 90's music for the past part because I feel that that's when music was at it's best. It seems like in today's society, anybody can make it "big", but only if you throw some auto-tune and a terrible hip-hop track behind you. One "artist" that I'll never understand how she got big is Nikki Minaj. Honestly, she is the worst thing in music I have ever heard. No talent, sounds like an idiot, does these long "notes" if it's even worth calling it that, and changes her voice to this alter ego? There's this guy on youtube named Adam Buckley who breaks down terrible music one step at a time and exposes WHY they are bad. Here's his breakdown of Nikki Minaj's "Stupid Hoe"♫


♫ With a song like this, do you wonder if record companies even take pride in who they give a record deal to? This song is pathetic. Horribly written, annoying backing track, terrible "singing". It's like you don't even have to have musical talent anymore to make it. Let's just say, money talks, and record companies are greedy. As long as they are getting their money, they don't care who they put on their label. ♫





 ♪ 80's and 90's rock and metal seemed to be the best time frame for music. I feel that there was a lot of passion in every song. Songs back then had more meaning. I enjoy Van Halen a lot because you could sense a bit of pride in their songs. The song "Right Now" has a pretty great meaning... ♪


♫ The song is basically about living in the moment. It was also written during worldwide political change, so it does have a bit of political meaning too. It's one of my favorite songs still to this day. ♪

♫ Another song with a very deep meaning is Alice in Chains "Nutshell". That song has an intense amount of passion. Layne Stayley (Singer for AiC) was having a rough patch in his life, and you can tell how much feeling he put into the song when he wrote it. It was one of the last songs he wrote before he passed away. It's a very powerful and meaningful song... one that you definitely can connect with when you hear it. ♪


♪ I'm not saying all modern day music is bad. I like a lot of metal and rock now. Some songs still do have a passionate meaning. 30 Seconds to Mars is very good at sounding passionate. Their song and music video "Closer to the Edge" is just a wow factor... ♫

♫ A song that I've really connected with recently and I know my friend Trevor does being that his family has a military background is "Hand Held High" by Linkin Park. This song, just.... wow! The lyrics press on a lot of key issues and the overall music scheme hits you in the heart... ♫



♪ A list of other powerful songs from 2000 on that I listen to would be, "Far From Home"-Five Finger Death Punch, "Hero of War"-Rise Against, "Panic Prone"-Chevelle, "Viva La Vida"-Coldplay, "Home"-Daughtry, "Hole in the Earth"-Deftones, "Bring me to Life"-Evanescence, "Heartbeat"-The Fray, "How to Save a Life"-The Fray, "Never say Never" -The Fray (what can I say, they have good valuable songs), "Everything"-Lifehouse (my girlfriend and I's song) :), "Your Guardian Angel"-Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, "Through Glass"-Stone Sour, and "This is War"-30 Seconds to Mars. ♫

♪ That was basically a list from my Itunes library. Anyways, if you feel the same as I do or disagree, please state why you feel the way you do. I want other's opinions on today's music vs. past. Thanks for checking it out this week. ♪

No comments:

Post a Comment