Skateboarding, Long Distance Relationship, Music, and other randomness

Monday, January 28, 2013

Monday Skateboarding: Skate and Create rant...


This is going to be a rant... so if that sort of thing annoys you, turn away now. HOWEVER, I will be making some very valid points.

So this week is about Transworld Magazine's Skate and Create video series. First off, I'll explain what Skate and Create is and then go into said rant.

Skate and Create is a video series that Transworld Skateboarding magazine puts out each year. I believe it started in 2008 but I'm not 100% on that, I am however very familiar with what it is. 4 skate teams would be given 9 days to create a video inside a set warehouse (that every team would use) using only the props, obstacles, ramps, rails, and manny boxes provided... with some leniency on other miscellaneous props. (see Etnies skate and create 09' below). They'd have to use creativity and good skateboarding to have their video stand out. My personal favorite year was 2009. It saw some of the best creativity and it's really the series that got me hooked. I also was inspired by it to become a videographer for skateboarding just so I could make those videos. Things changed though in recent years for Skate and Create which is why I'm going to be ranting about it. I had went back and watched 2008's videos and they did catch my eye. Not bad for a first season. DVS especially made it awesome.

Since 2009, I saw a vast drop in creativity. Teams had less care put into the videos and it became less exciting to watch each year. The main thing though, 2012. The series changed up and went outside the warehouse. The warehouse would make it so that they HAD to be creative. But with recent trends now, everybody is focused on who has the biggest tricks at the best spots. It was quite unfortunate. The 2013 videos should be coming out shortly and we'll see how they stack up to the current status on Skate and Create.

Allow me to list my favorite videos below...

Starting with DVS's 2009 video, "Wood"...


This one is and will always be my favorite video. The reason I enjoyed it so much is because it's simple, yet amazingly put together. They used a simple white, bright background and used their obstacles in different ways. The doubles action looked outstanding, as well as the music cues, and filmography. This was the real inspiration for me to want to do this.... how simple editing and filming can make a video look so stunning.






Etnies 2009 feature, "The Legend of Boxton Square"...


Now this one also really stood out to me because of their creativity with the cardboard "world" they created. The somewhat story line they have is impressive as well as the skateboarding. Plus, it has Sean Malto.... there's a big reason why it's so good... the guy SHREDS. Anyway, getting off topic. This came in a VERY close second for me on favorite because of how well it was put together. It's actually really hard to pick between this and "Wood" but I think I find the filming more impressive in "Wood" which is why...




Circa's 2009 feature "Broken Dreams"... (last 2009 one because DC's "In the City" was just terrible")

This one impressed me in a lot of ways as well. It also tied for a close second because of the greatness in filming and editing. They did a good job making you believe they were actually out in the woods somewhere skating random obstacles. And they used a Ford Gran Turino as an obstacle in itself, how cool is that? The only thing that set it aside from the other two, is the music choice. It's not bad music, but in my opinion, it should've been a slower, darker feel to match the video theme in itself.




As you can see, 2009 was an awesome year for Skate and Create. Other videos to check out are Adida's 2010 feature "Light, Shape, Color" because of their illusions with paint, their simple yet elegant feel, and editing. Another would be Fallen's 2010 video "Lose your Illusion" which is like Adida's in some ways. The only one from 2010 that really stood out to me though would be Lakai's "Lakairomania". I'll show this one because it is pretty impressive as well.



This one is up there with the 2009 features because of its creativity. Their use of fire and editing was well done. Music choice was a bit annoying but overall, an awesome video.

I couldn't seem to find anything on 2011 Skate and Create so it's possible that they skipped a year to prepare for 2012's videos.

The whole purpose of all the other explanations and videos was because if you watch those and see what 2012 compares to, it just doesn't. It was dreadful. The lack of creativity and the scheme change made it quite disappointing. My hopes are that for 2013, they move back into the warehouse and into Skate and Create's roots.

So last part of this blog is 2012's feature from the Creature "fiends" skate team, "Skate Wars" which is an urban video... quite depressing... just watch.



So I'd like to know any thoughts on how people feel about Skate and Create... whether you believe it's gotten better or worse? Favorite video? Favorite season altogether? Just comment and discuss. Peace... I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment