Skateboarding, Long Distance Relationship, Music, and other randomness

Monday, January 14, 2013

Skateboarding Monday: Trainsong Skatepark Review

I realize that I haven't done the best lately at keeping up with my blog. I want to do this week's post on my favorite place to go skating. It's not necessarily my favorite skatepark but it is my favorite tranquil spot. It's where I go to get away from my problems in life. It's very peaceful at night especially, which is really the only time I go. It has one light over the park which is enough to skate the whole park. (Which really isn't very big).


 The skatepark was built in 2003. The ground was surfaced by Public Works Maintenance asphalt crew and the skatepark equipment was provided by a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). The park was primarily constructed for neighborhood use, but is fun for really anybody that hits it. The equipment is all metal so it's not the best idea to skate there on cold nights provided that the ramps are slick


Pyramid with a wide 2'-ish rail. The rail is about 4 inches wide.
I've only seen one person hit it.

 The best thing about this park is that it is kind of secluded. It's hidden behind Highway 99 near a train yard. It's kind of cool at night to hear what goes on at the train yard. There's something about it that makes it peaceful. Another perk to this park, is that the few locals that skate there are actually pretty nice. Nobody makes fun of you for being bad and everybody there has a positive friendly attitude. The mini-ramp may be small, but I've actually seen some pretty good tricks being thrown down on it. I once saw somebody transfer from the quarter to the mini shown on the image to the right.


Full view. The rail closest to the camera isn't all wobbly like the picture shows, but it is a kinked rail. Really fun to hit.
The mini-ramp to the left is good for beginners. I've learned some good stuff on it that helped me for bigger vert things.
The line I've been working on lately is to drop in on the far left quarter in the image above, fs boardslide the kinked rail, do a kick turn on the ramp to the far right, then hit the smaller rail with a 50-50 or Smith Grind. I've been unsuccesful landing either a 50-50 or Smith yet, but I'm getting close. I'm definitely going to try to get a video of it when I do get it down.

The entrance walkway to the park goes between these two ramps.

The park from street view. There is a playground shown to the right. There is also a big walking path that goes to the side and around the field behind the park. There is also a big baseball diamond on the field behind the park.

Trainsong from above view. Located at the end of Edison Street in Eugene.

I do recommend the park to anybody interested in skating it. It's not very big or technical, but it is just a fun park to mess around on and enjoy a quiet peaceful skate session.

The best way I can describe on how to get there from West 11th is to take Randy Papé Beltline and then turn right on Roosevelt Blvd. You follow Roosevelt until you get to Bethel Rd. You turn right on Bethel and a few blocks down from the turn, you'll get to Edison St. which is slightly hidden behind some shrubbery in someone's yard. Follow to the end and you can't miss the park seeing as how it's on a dead end.

The best way from River Road/ Chambers is to either turn left or right on Roosevelt and follow towards Bethel. You'll come up to a crosswalk that shows a "Red Cross" sign and follow the road in the same way as I explained above.

Definitely get a chance to check out the park. You'll have fun. Thanks for checking this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment